Saturday, July 14, 2007

Movie Review: License to Wed

I wasn't for sure if I wanted to review this movie but I am glad I did. License to Wed, is a movie I hope reminds married couples and or couples in general the importance of a marriage union. Though I do feel hestiant to speak confidently on this matter due to my failure in this area, not by choice but by the choice of my ex (husband/pastor) lack of willingness to fight. He gave up on me to fall in love and live with another beautiful young lady. It was hard then and I forgive him, now. It takes two to make a marriage/relationship works and alot of family and friends support. Something, I never really had.

Now back to the movie, I disagree with the low marks this movie received for many reasons but for the sake of keeping this simple I will state these two: the high divorce rate and chornic dating without a purpose. The "pop"ular culture refuses to listen to the music of their own debacle souls laced in selfishness. Couples need to withstand and communicate on how they will withstand through the low blows of THE reality of them being broken individuals coming together in order to reflect one of the highest image of God's love - a marriage.

License to Wed is about a newly engaged couple: Ben Murphy (John Krasinski) and his fiancée, Sadie Jones (Mandy Moore). Sadie, has always dreamed of getting married in a traditional wedding at her family church named St. Augustine. The problem (or solution in my opinion) is St. Augustine's charismatic pastor, Reverend Frank (Robin Williams), won't bless Ben and Sadie's union until they pass his patented, foolproof marriage-prep course. Just think, if more churches adopted foolproof marriage-pre courses... and no I am not talking about the pre-martial course workbook most churches used today. Rev. Frank's outrageous classes, outlandish homework assignments and some pious manipulation, forces Ben and Sadie to communicate on if they really have what it takes to make it to the alter and to live out their commitment, not neccessary their love, but commitment for rest of their lives. So, to answer the question of the day, will this movie make your cry, I hope so, but if not, I can promise you, it will make you laugh.

I give this movie 4 TIARAS.

2 comments:

JD said...

I do not get to enough movies and this is one I would not have seeked out. I will check it out on dvd.I hope you try love again. You have a lot to offer

linnamae said...

I am grateful for your kind words.