Monday, July 30, 2007

Movie Review: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Harry Potter is one of those popular whirlwinds I usually avoid because everyone is into it. I am reminded of a scripture that states and I will paraphrase: wide is the road that leads to destruction and narrow is the road that leads to truth. When I usually see a majority of people gravitate towards an unison on one subject, concept or idea I grow more weary of that subject, concept, or idea (See: Matt 7). Now, I can understand that witchcraft has sub levels of good and evil but what I can't understand is how can we not see that witchcraft is a direct conflict soberness of the mind. God never intended for us to fight "our" spiritual battles without Him. And Harry Potter does this, and he tries to piggyback on his "natural" psychic gifts as well his craft in magic to war against darkness. I know this is fictional movie and a source of entertainment for the youth and such however, the youth should also know that not all entertainment is good for the psyche.

Now the brief excerpt on the movie of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Harry returns for his 5th year of study at Hogwarts and discovers that the truth of his recent encounter with the evil spirit of Lord Voldemort has been rejected by the wizard community. Much of the movie was catered to the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher named Professors Dolores Unbridge, who was placed there to watch over and limit the wizardry practices of the Hogwarts students. Harry, who is prompted by his friends Hermione and Ron, to take matters into his own hands. He secretly meets with a small group of students who name themselves "Dumbledore's Army," and teaches them how to defend themselves against the Dark Arts, preparing the courageous young wizards for the extraordinary battle that lies ahead. Now with that brief synopsis of the movie aside, it is so good to know, evil will not prevail.

I give this movie: 2 TIARAS

2 comments:

Sarah Olson said...

How do you feel about movies like Lord of the Rings & Narnia - don't they also use "witchcraft" and "magic" ? If you actually read the Harry Potter books you will see that the force that wins the day in the end is love and the importance of relationships, be it friends, family, etc. These same themes are also found in C.S. Lewis and Tolkien. Just wondered.

linnamae said...

I never read any of the Harry Potter books. So I wasn't aware that the force of good wins in the end. I feel the same about C.S.Lewis as well. Evil is not always obvious. I hope this helps.